The following article provides you with the steps and requirements to set up PGP for windows. But before we get started verify that your system meets the following requirements:
PGP can only be installed on systems having the following versions:
● Windows XP Professional 32-64 bit
● Windows Server 2003
● Windows 7 ( 32-64 bit)
● Windows XP home edition
● Windows Vista (32-64 bit)
- 512 Mb Ram
- 64 Mb Hardisk Space
Step #01: Install the software
In order to install PGP on Windows, you must have administrative rights
on your system
- First install the PGP software on your system at:
● 32-bit PGP Desktop for Windows
● 64-bit PGP Desktop for Windows
- Locate the installation program on your system. The installer
program is an. MSI file.
- Double click on the PGP installer.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- It will install with 2-3 minutes, when done you’ll see this. Click “Next”
and then finish.
- Now you got all the tools to get started with PGP.
Step #02: Generate your keypair
After installation, the next step is to obtain your key pair so you can encrypt
or decrypt messages. We’ll be going with 4096 bit RSA.
- Open up Kleopatra, you should be addressed with the beautiful
- Go to “File” and click on “New Certificate”.
- The certificate creation window will pop up, click on ‘Create a
personal OpenPGP key pair’.
- Now you’ll need to enter details. Use your marketplace name and fill
out all details. Do not use your real email.
- Do not click on next yet. We need to fill out some more details. Go to
“Advanced Settings” another window should appear in front of you.
Under ‘Key Material’ make sure that ‘RSA’ is checked and select
- Confirm that your info is filled correctly, then click on “Create Key”.
- Another window will open asking you to enter a passphrase. Do so
and click on ‘Ok’.
- It will generate your key. It will need you to do casual things to create
entropy. Like wiggle the mouse, download torrents, etc.
- Your key is now generated. Proceed further and click “Finish”.
Step #03: Obtain Your Public key
Now you will need to obtain your public key, without it vendors would not
be able to send you secure messages.
- Right-click on your created key, select “Export Certificates”.
- Search where you want to save, give it a name, then click “Save”.
- Open your text editor and search for where the file is saved. Click on
the saved and then open.
- That’s your public key.
Note: Remember to add the public key to your profile so people can
message you easily.
Step #04: Obtain Your Private Key
It is really easy to obtain a private key just like your public key.
- Right-click on your created key, select “Export Secret Keys”.
- Select where you want to save it, give it a name, check “ASCII” and
Click on “OK”.
- Now you have your private key.
Note: Remember to keep it in a safe place and never share it with
Step #05: Encrypting Public Key
It is impractical for the vendor to send an encrypted message without their
- Find the public key you want to import.
- Copy each and everything from it.
- In your taskbar, right-click on Kleopatra, go to the clipboard, then click
- If it worked you’ll see a pop-up window, click on “OK”